Replacement for Lost / Damaged PAN Card

If you lost your PAN Card, getting a duplicate is a relatively easy process. However, the very first thing you must do is to file a First Information Report as this will provide the legal basis for the issuance of your duplicate PAN Card.

Once you’ve secured your FIR, you can then request for your PAN to be reprinted. To do this you will have to furnish your PAN service provider the details of your PAN Card, but most importantly the 10-character string that constitutes your Permanent Account Number. You will also have to submit a copy of the FIR as an attachment.

The procedure is as follows.

  • Fill up all the information requested in this online form.
  • Upload supporting documents such as proofs of identity, date of birth, and address as well as valid photograph.
  • You will then have to pay our fees.
  • A 15-digit acknowledgement receipt will be given as reference for your transaction.
  • Wait for your replacement or duplicate PAN Card within 2 weeks.

If your PAN Card was severely damaged, you can also follow the same procedure in filing for a duplicate PAN Card.

For companies, trusts, or even HUFs that may require additional PAN Cards for their other members, the procedure is typically the same. Do take note, however, that the Permanent Account Number across these multiple PAN Cards is the same.